When you hear the term personal injury, you might feel a bit overwhelmed. Why? Because when we hear the term personal injury, we feel like just about anything can qualify as a personal injury. Though the word personal is involved, it’s not something as simple as breaking your toe on your bed or burning your neck with a hair straightener. Personal injuries are much more serious, so serious that personal injury claims are one of the most common claims filed.
Want to know what qualifies as a personal injury? Want to know what personal injuries require a lawyer? Keep reading to find out.
Though personal injuries can include a wide spectrum of injuries, some are more common than others. Here are the general/common types of personal injuries:
- Medical Malpractice: If a doctor, hospital, nurse or other medical professional is negligent, it can lead to serious injuries, which happens more than you might want to believe. Medical malpractice has many different types ranging from misdiagnosis to failure to diagnose serious health conditions and diseases to surgical errors, improper treatment, and more. If you’ve lost a loved one or been injured because of medical malpractice, then you are in need of either a personal injury attorney to get you the compensation you deserve.
- Motor Vehicle Accident: 650 car accidents happen each day in Florida alone. So imagine how many happen every day, week, month, and year throughout the rest of the U.S. If you or a loved one has been involved in a motor vehicle accident that resulted in serious injury or death, then you might be entitled to compensation for your injuries and financial loss.
- Premises Liability: This refers to accidents on someone’s property that were caused by dangerous or defective conditions. These accidents can happen almost anywhere and can range from getting bitten by a dog to falling down a staircase that has no handrail to slipping on a walkway that hasn’t been properly attended to and more. The most critical part of these claims is the documentation, so make sure you have photos, witness statements, and more to back up your claim.
- Products Liability: Products that are labelled as dangerous or have become defective can cause serious injuries at home, in a public place, and at work. This can include children’s products, dangerous drugs and foods, toxic chemicals and materials, and more. If you or a loved one has been injured due to a dangerous or defective product, contacting an experienced attorney is your best bet to getting the bottom of the accident and getting you the maximum compensation you deserve.
- Workplace Accident: When injuries happen in the workplace, the injured party is generally unallowed to file a personal lawsuit against their employer. Instead, they must file a claim under the Workers’ Compensation Act, which requires the employer to provide certain benefits to the injured worker. Workers’ Compensation laws vary from state to state, so if you are injured at work, look up your state’s Workers Comp laws.
- Wrongful Death: If someone has died due to someone else’s carelessness or negligence, you can file a wrongful death claim. Most of these claims come from airplane and auto accidents, construction accidents, dangerous or defective products, medical malpractice, nursing home neglect and more.
Other types of personal injury cases include: Asbestos exposure and mesothelioma, aviation and boating accidents, birth, brain,burn and spinal cord injuries, legal malpractice, nursing home abuse or neglect, and other catastrophic accidents and injuries.
If you have experienced personal injuries because of any of these situations, then contact a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. You might be entitled to compensation, which you rightfully deserve. Don’t deny yourself the compensation you deserve to help you through your long road to recovery. So don’t delay, call a personal injury attorney today.